Our continent is on the rise and it is Africa’s young leaders that will take us into the future.
To this end, the Mail & Guardian is sponsoring two dynamic young African leaders for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: to attend the One Young World Summit 2013, taking place in Johannesburg this year.
The M&G is a South African-based news publication that prides itself on being Africa’s best read.
The M&G, as part of our commitment to developing young leaders on the continent, will fully sponsor two delegate places to this year’s summit. In addition, we will cover the travel cost for each delegate from his or her home cities to Johannesburg, if necessary.
We’re on the hunt for very special candidates to attend this leadership and development conference. One Young World generally looks for candidates with proven leadership ability, and a passion for volunteering and a concern for global issues. We want to sponsor two candidates who display that, and more.
As a news publication dedicated to online innovation, we want to sponsor two candidates doing interesting things in the digital and tech space.
The Mail & Guardian Online was the first internet-based news publication in Africa, and has repeatedly received awards for its digital innovation. We want to sponsor someone who shares this DNA with us.
Perhaps you have been involved in a project that uses digital tools to improve agriculture, social development or media freedom. Whatever it is, we want to hear about it.
Do you have what it takes? Check out the criteria for our candidates, then fill in the form below and you could be part of this amazing conference, and experience being mentored by world leaders.
Candidate criteria includes the following:
- One Young World delegates are 18-30 years old at the time of the summit
- Demonstrate leadership potential and skills (many have already had an impact in their home countries on a range of issues)
- Concern about global issues
- Ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas
- A commitment to volunteering or other extracurricular activity (evidence required)
In addition, the M&G requires the following for our two candidates:
- Involved in some sort of leadership or community project involving digital tools and/or tech innovation
- Display an innovative approach to solving some of the problems facing the continent
- Candidates must be nationals of, and residing, in any African country
You can find the entry form here. The competition closes on June 30 2013.
Read the thoughts of previous One Young World African Ambassadors on their Thought Leader blog.